Network With Leaders in Business and Innovation
in Blacksburg, VA
23rd Annual TechNite Celebration
The energy surrounding technology and innovation in the region is electric. TechNite will be a night to remember as we recognize the region’s best companies, innovators, and projects that continue to put Virginia’s Region 2 on the global map.
Plan to enjoy a social, cocktail celebration beginning at 5:30 p.m. inside downtown Roanoke’s magnificent museum. Heavy hors d’oeuvres, libations, entertainment, and brief programming will kick off the evening followed by an exciting awards ceremony lifting up the entrepreneurs, founders, and companies fueling the region’s thriving ecosystem. Attendees can explore the galleries then celebrate at the after party.
This historical event is made possible thanks to our sponsors, members, board of directors, and staff. We are grateful for the generous support of event sponsors. View the sponsorship opportunities available at this year’s event, and contact Erin Burcham to secure your sponsorship.
How to Participate
Tickets will be available soon!
TechNite 2022 Winners
Awarded on May 19 at Taubman Museum of Art
- Victor Iannello, RBTC Hall of Fame: Iannello is CEO of Chorda Pharma, an early-stage pharmaceuticals company developing a pipeline of opioid-free drugs to manage pain. Previously, he was the CEO and founder of Radiant Physics, a company that develops and commercializes revolutionary products in the energy, industrial technology, and healthcare sectors to improve performance and deliver value.
- Kathleen O’Dell, STEM-H Educator Award, which recognizes an educator in the Roanoke–Blacksburg region that promotes math, science, and/or use of technology in creative ways to transfer knowledge and help develop future technology leaders. O’Dell became a math teacher at Christiansburg Middle School 15 years ago through a non-traditional route, incorporating real-world experiences into her curriculum, and realized it was the dream job she was looking for all along. O’Dell is the recipient of the 2022 Montgomery County Public School Teacher of the Year award, serves as Department Chair of the CMS Math Department, and worked as tutor and a curriculum specialist for the Boys and Girls Club from 2016 to 2021.
- Ticket Spicket, Rising Star Award, which recognizes an early-stage technology company. This award emphasizes the importance of small firms to our region’s technology economy. Ticket Spicket is a no-cost digital ticketing platform for schools, districts and associations. In just two years the tool has grown to 1.4 million unique users, conducting 2.7 million transactions.
- Dr. Robert Gourdie, Innovator Award, which recognizes an individual, a team, or organization that has blazed new trails in the areas of research and innovation. Gourdie is an entrepreneur with a wealth of startup experience. He has founded or co-founded three start-ups based on his cutting-edge research. First String Research has three active ongoing clinical trials. Tiny Cargo Company and Acomhal Research are on their way to revolutionizing drug delivery and glioblastoma treatment. Tiny Cargo Co. is among five companies to receive a Washington, DC Health Innovation QuickFire Challenge award. The $50,000 in grant funding will help the biotech startup continue to develop its novel drug delivery method using hardy nano-sized capsules derived from cow’s milk.
- Wendi Pannell, Regional Leadership Award, which recognizes a member who succeeds in the workplace, but also leads by example by contributing significantly to the RBTC community. Pannell, Vice President of Content Production at Ozmo, is a connector of people and ideas. She has shown dedication to growing the WoTech (RBTC women in technology) community and drives the future and promise of WoTech regionally.
- Martin Angst, Entrepreneur Award, which recognizes a leader exemplifying what it means to be a risk-taker in technology. Angst is the co-founder of Rendyr, an emerging desktop robotics company developing a first of its kind portable laser cutter that dramatically improves access to rapid prototyping and digital fabrication. Rendyr has raised over $730k from 444 backers through a Kickstarter campaign for their Optic portable laser cutter. (You can back the project now at https://launch.rendyr.com/.)
- P1 Technologies, Leading Tech Company, which recognizes a Roanoke or New River Valley company committed to advancing the region’s technology community and demonstrating excellence in people, programs, and projects within its industry. P1 Technologies delivers cabling and injection molding products as well as custom specialty designs. They focus on three main service lines: medical, audio, and in vivo preclinical research from their facility in Roanoke County. P1 Technologies is a highly regarded specialty manufacturer in one of the most regulated, demanding, fast-paced industry sectors in the marketplace. They combine high quality standards with R&D capabilities, resulting in consistency and new solutions, building trust and longevity with their customers.
- Kathy Claytor, Ruby Award, which recognizes an outstanding member who has proven to be a brilliant and valuable asset to the Roanoke-Blacksburg region. Claytor has contributed to the local technology industry, working to attract, grow and retain technology talent for the Roanoke Region. She has spent numerous years benchmarking best practices in human resources, developing best practices for employee engagement strategies, while serving on state and national boards. Claytor continues to build the brand of the region as a destination for top talent, a true necessity for a long lasting and sustainable workforce.
- Heywood Fralin, 2022 Guest of Honor, received recognition for supporting health science and biotechnology in the region. From his major commitment to research and education at Fralin Biomedical Research Institute to advocating on the region’s behalf in Richmond for a $15.7 million commercialized biotech project, Heywood was recognized for his vision and dedication to growing an emerging sector in the region. Fralin’s vision for success will continue to grow the region for decades to come through multi-organizational collaboration.