The RBTC is a member-driven association working to promote the growth of the Roanoke-Blacksburg technology community. In other words, growth is baked into everything we do. We’re always innovating new ways to serve our community and we have some exciting things planned for 2023.
Here’s a sneak peek at some of the things we’re looking forward to in the coming year.
Advocacy, Equity, and Events: RBTC 2023 Preview
- TechNite is the most anticipated awards event of the year in tech and biotech. This year marks our 23rd year so be sure to attend (and invite your friends), nominate your stellar colleagues, or even become a sponsor!
- Talent Attraction and Retention will continue to facilitate the growth of member companies. The RBTC expanded our team to provide customized support to member companies.
- Enhanced programming is on deck for 2023 aimed at diversifying and attracting high-demand talent including a new digital community on Slack! Our full event calendar includes an exciting Tech & Toast series, cyber security events, high-level CEO forum and roundtables, Beer & Biotech, WoTech, and the launch of a local Blacks in Technology chapter. Last but certainly not least is the 3rd annual Game Changer Week. Mark your calendars for a week-long conference that spans to two regions and brings together our best and brightest.
- Efforts in Equity is one of our top priorities. Our thriving WoTech series, which features over 12 annual events, has added a brand-new retreat-style event BoxLore: The Art of Becoming Unboxed. Additionally, RBTC is sponsoring the launch of a SWVA chapter of Blacks in Technology. Chapter events will begin in 2023 so be sure to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved or support.
- Advocacy is a core mission for RBTC. This year we’re focused on connecting with tech councils across VA to champion Roanoke and New River Valleys as a strong place for tech and biotech. Our message highlights the region’s vibrant ecosystem which includes computer science, education initiatives in K-12, expanded broadband, funding growth, and efforts to support diversity and inclusion in talent retention.
- Biotech momentum will accelerate as Roanoke prepares to welcome new wet lab space! These labs, in conjunction with new Blacksburg labs at the Virginia Tech Corporate Research Center solidifies the region’s status as a hub for biotech innovation.
- New technology startups will enter the ecosystem in 2023 thanks to RAMP, the Regional Accelerator and Mentoring Program. Founded in 2017 with funding from GO Virginia, the City of Roanoke, and Virginia Western Community College, RAMP has nurtured 38 technology and health & life science startups to date. Two new cohorts will embark on the 12-week program in the spring then fall. Visit their website to find out more about how participate or support.
Connect, Grow, & and Lead in the Biotech & Tech Community
Our members inspire us every day to remain dynamic and growth oriented. We’re excited about the future of our technology community and all the things we have planned to help you connect, grow, and lead in the Roanoke-Blacksburg technology ecosystem. Register for one of our upcoming events (and be sure to subscribe to our emails) to be part of our best year yet!